The best content type ever is probably a very flexible one with the possibility to configure it to the site needs. Compared to the now established Document, File, Link and Image types in Plone it should do much more.
The might be:
- the possibility to easily define it’s fields (by defining a configuration either TTW or on the FS)
- the possibility to easily define a template for a) editing and b) displaying the fields
- the possibility to easily add additional data like an image.
- the possibility to upload additional data inline without leaving the document editor.
- the possibility to change uploaded data like transforming an image (rotating, scaling, maybe cropping)
- the possibility to easily add links to related content
- use references everywhere in order to track changes
- the possibility to use a WYSIWYG editor (although I don’t think of them as usable) or a textarea with something like structured text
I guess there are a lot more things, such a type could do. Comments are welcomed.
And probably this will be discussed more deeply in the Brainstorming section of this site.