It really looks like that, the year is only 9 days old but already a lot did happen in that area:
- Scoble triggered a discussion about Data Portability by trying to export his contact data from FaceBook, he then joined the DataPortability Group. He also makes some good points here.
- Facebook, Google and Plaxo joined the DataPortability Group aswell
- SpreadOpenId.org was started
- flickr and yahoo seem to get ready for enabling OpenID
- some discussion about the shortcomings of OpenID have been started as well as a discussion about what describes our identity, a URL or email address (also here).
and the latest news item: Google, IBM and Verisign are said to be joining OpenID
So all in all this goes faster than I thought. I remember that i saw quite some OpenID logos at the Web 2.0 Expo in Berlin and also heard a lot about opening up those platforms. To see at least the first bits already is great. Of course we need to wait what comes out of this all as not much is implemented yet but all these moves look promising. There are also a lot of problems to be solved in front of us but when looking at traffic on the dataportability and DiSo group you can see how active people are these days. For now 2008 looks great to me already!